About your Z drive
All Engineering students, faculty and staff are provided a Z: drive for storing their academic files. The Z: Drive is automatically mapped if you login to the Engineering Cloud. However, If you need to access your Z: Drive directly from your personal laptop or desktop. You can map it using the following path:
\\engvault01.eng.fau.edu\<FAU Net ID>$
Please note the following requirements for mapping from personal laptops or desktops:
- Wifi: use the FAUWPA2 network using these instructions
- Wired: any oncampus wired network should work
Your <FAU Net ID> is your user name. This is the same one you use to sign into MyFAU, Blackboard and computers on campus. Don’t forgot the $ at the end of the path.
Mapping the Drive in Windows 7
- Click on Start >> Computer
- This should bring up File Explorer and should show you all the drives connected to your computer.
- Next click on Map network drive
- In the Map Network Drive wizard that pops up select Z: as your Drive using the drop down box.
- Type in your location (see above) of your Z: Drive where it says Folder
- Check Reconnect at logon
- Check Connect using different credentials
- Then click Finish.
- In the Windows Security prompt type in the following
- User Name: FAU\<FAU Net ID> (don’t forget the “FAU\”. The backslash, “\” is found on your keyboard just above the enter key)
- Password: type the same password used to sign into MyFAU, Blackboard and computers on campus.
- Last click OK and you’ll be connected to your Z:\ Drive
Backups of the Z: drive
There are two types of backups performed on the Z: Drive:
- Shadow Copy: The server does a snapshot (shadow copy) of your changed files at Noon and 7 PM which you can recover yourself (see below)
- Mirror to another server: The data is mirrored nightly to another server in case of a catastrophic failure of our file server This is a write for write mirror (so if it’s deleted in one place it’s deleted here as well). Only TSG can restore data from this copy.
Recovering a file from your Z: drive (shadow copy)
- Right click the folder where the file was saved (if it was in the Parent folder just right click any white area of the explorer window)
- Select Properties
- Select Previous Versions
- Double click the the date you are looking for (or select the date and click open)
- Locate the folder or file you want
- Right click on the file and select Copy (or type Control-C)
- Open a new file browser and navigate to a location where you want the file/folder to be put back into
- Right click in that location and select Paste (or type Control-V)
- Alternatively, you can just click and drag the file or folder from the snapshot file browser to the new location.