GENIE is the College’s Application Cluster that allows our students to access a wide variety of the software applications installed here on campus remotely. Students use a web browser to login with their FAU credentials and are presented with a list of applications. The list can vary depending on the class the student is taking. Once an application is selected, it is started remotely on our application-cluster and is displayed on the student’s local computer as though it is running locally. Students will be able to access both their FAU network drives (M: and Z:) as well as their local computer’s hard drives in order to copy data.
Performance of the applications (especially those that require 3D rendering or animation) will vary based on the type of connection and latency inherent in the remote connection. However, in most cases, students will notice little or no noticeable difference between running the application remotely or on one of our lab environments on campus.
GENIE was originally conceived by Dr. Don Leone in the Geomatics Engineering program to provide Civil and Geomatics Engineering students access to their software. It has since grown to be used college wide in all the departments.
To access the server, browse to https://genie.eng.fau.edu
You will need to install the browser plugin before the the applications will launch. The browser plugin is listed on the right hand section of the login page or can also be downloaded from http://www.citrix.com/downloads
When using applications through GENIE, do not save files to ‘Desktop’ or ‘My Documents’. Always try to use a network drive, such as M: or Z:
To move files from your M: or Z: drive, to your local computer, launch one of the “My Computer” applications on GENIE. Browse the drives, and you will see one that reads “C$ on Client V:”. This is your local computer. Copy the files that you need to this location.
If you see this error when launching an application:
“Citrix Receiver Configuration Manager: No value could be found for
(AllowHotkey) that satisfies all lockdown requirements. The lockdown
requirements in force may be conflicting”
Please follow these steps:
1) Uninstall the Citrix software
2) Delete the Citrix folder from C:\Program Files
3) Delete registry keys for Citrix
– run regedit – press WindowsKey+R , and enter regedit
– expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and expand Software
– delete the Citrix folder
5) reinstall Citrix software
If you get logged in, but see no applications : Send us an email (email@example.com) so that we can verify your student/class status and grant you access.
If you get this error: unable to launch your application … ssl error 61 you have not chosen to trust equifax secure certificate or SSL Error 61: You have not chosen to trust “Geo Trust DV SSL CA”, the issuer of the server’s security certificate.
Please follow these steps:
- You must use Internet Explorer initially
- Browse to: https://genie.eng.fau.edu
- Click on the Yellow LOCK symbol just to the right of the web address
- Click on View certificates, verify that certificate is accepted
- You may need to then click on Install Certificate
- Now use any browser you like
If you get this error: remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol , you can try these steps; however, directly editing the registry is dangerous, and should be done carefully:
- Navigate to the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing.
- Click MSLicensing.
- On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
- In the File name box, type mslicensingbackup, and then click Save.
- If you need to restore this registry key in the future, double-click mslicensingbackup.reg.
- On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion of the MSLicensing registry subkey.
- Close Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
If you are unable to save files to your local computer’s hard drive [which is shown as C$ on client (V:)] :
- Locate your systray (bottom right section of your windows task bar close to the time) and find the small solid blue circle icon with two white squares:
- Right click on the icon and select Open Connection Center
- A window will pop up which looks like this:
- On the left site, the server (in the above example, GENIEFARM2) is automatically selected. Now click on the File Security button on the right and you will be presented with a new window which looks like this:
- You will notice that No Access and Always ask me is currently selected. You will need to change them to Full Access and Never ask me again so that this will now look like this:
- You can now click the OK button for the above window and the OK button for the previous window.
- Now return back to your application and you should be able to save to your V: drive.