The information on this page pertains ONLY to students in the College of Engineering and Computer Science or students taking classes in the College of Engineering and Computer Science. If you are not in this category, please contact your College’s IT Support Staff.
Welcome to the Florida Atlantic University College of Engineering and Computer Science support site for Microsoft Imagine.
Microsoft Imagine is a subscription to Microsoft developer products available to all Engineering Faculty, Staff, and Students. Any students enrolled in any course offered by the Engineering College and it’s departments are eligible to participate in the program.
- What is Microsoft Imagine?
- What software programs are available?
- Can more than one software copy be ordered for multiple computers?
- Microsoft Imagine Software Center E-Academy Accounts
- How to Obtain Software Once You Have an Account
- Technical Support
What is Microsoft Imagine?
Microsoft Imagine is a free subscription program for technical departments in the areas of computer science, engineering and information systems. This subscription includes Microsoft platforms, servers, and developer tools software.
Anyone eligible to receive software from the Microsoft Imagine is allowed to keep and use the software as long as they wish, even after they have graduated from FAU or cease to be enrolled or employed by FAU. However, members can only obtain the software while they are in a faculty, staff, or student position in the FAU College of Engineering and Computer Science. The Microsoft Imagine program licenses the software for academic and personal use. The software may not be used for commercial purposes.
What software programs are available?
A wide range of programming tools (Visual Studio 2010), operating systems (Windows 7), software development and management (Visio and Project), servers (Windows Server 2008, SQL Server, Exchange Server) and other packages (Virtual PC) are available. The subscription basically covers all Microsoft development and server products. It does not include Microsoft Office, Front Page, or Microsoft Home products. The complete list of software is available at the FAU Microsoft Imagine Software Center site, under software and the dropdown menu.
Can more than one software copy be ordered for multiple computers?
The e-academy License Management System (ELMS) for Microsoft Imagine is configured by Microsoft to provide a limited number of copies of each software product to each user. Usually that’s a single copy for a single computer but for some programs the license allows for two or more copies to be installed on two or more PCs. Requests for additional copies over and above what Microsoft has set as the limit will not be approved.
Note: The Microsoft Imagine subscription administrator, E-Academy, keeps track of what software has been downloaded by each user. If a software copy has been deleted by mistake a new copy cannot be obtained.
- Student Accounts
Student accounts are generated from university registration records at the beginning of each term AFTER DROP/ADD. They will be issued at the end of the drop-add period to all students who are taking a class offered by our College. The accounts are valid for the term of registration only and will expire or be extended at the end of drop-add for the next term. Students can obtain software only during the period when their Microsoft Imagine account is active, but once installed, the software can be used indefinitely, whether or not the student continues to be enrolled.Student accounts will be based on their FAU email address (example: email@example.com) and are preserved indefinitely to keep track of all downloads. The limitation of one copy of each software title is a lifetime limitation. Accounts are listed as inactive when students are not registered in our College, and are reactivated when they register for a new term. After registration students will receive an e-mail message containing their password and site instructions.
- Faculty and Staff Accounts
Faculty and staff accounts are created after employment documentation has been finalized in the university system with the department, and will remain active until the member ceases to be employed by the department. Faculty and staff are registered using their e-mail addresses. After registration members will receive an e-mail message containing their passord and site instructions.
How to Obtain Software Once You Have an Account
To obtain software, you must go to the FAU Microsoft Imagine login screen, and log in. Select the software tab to view available software. Then select the software you wish to obtain and add it to your “Shopping Cart.” When you have finished selecting software, go to the shopping cart and select “Check Out” and follow the instructions provided.
All software can be obtained by download; in a few cases you can purchase CD’s with the software if desired.
- Software Download
Highspeed interent access is recommended for all downloads. Computers in the university laboratories can be used for download if necessary with the files burned to a recordable CD as described below. Note: Most of the programs range in size from 100 to 600 MB.
- Download Process
The download process is divided into two phases.
- Download a small installer program from the FAU Microsoft Imagine Software Center site. This program also provides you with a unique product key needed to install the software. If you are using a lab system, save this file in your network storage drive.
- Run the installer. This downloads the actual software. Most of the software is distributed as CD image files in .iso format that have been compressed and encrypted. They will have the .sdc extension. The installer program will extract a .iso file that is a specially coded CD image or will create a directory containing the installation files. If you’re working on a lab system, be sure it has enough space. You will have to use temporary storage on the local hard disk for the CD image since you will not have sufficient space on your network drive.
- Creating CDs
For the next step you will need a CD recorder on your PC and a blank recordable CD. The process is different depending on whether the software is distributed as an iso image or creates a directory with the installation files on your PC.
- Click Here for a PDF of instructions (ftp://ftp.e-academy.com/pub/docs/Working_with_Image_Files.pdf)
- For iso images: Check the instructions for the CD recording software installed on the PC for instructions on creating a CD from an iso image file. For instance, with EasyCD Creator, select File, Record CD from CD image, set the file type to .iso, select the image file, and record. The process will be similar, but likely different with different software.
- If you don’t have CD burning software, you can search on Google for “ISO CD Burner”. One free software choice can be found at www.freeisoburner.com.
- For installation files in a directory: Use the normal process for creating a CD containing a colleciton of files. This is optional but hightly recommended so you will have a backup.NOTE: We do not provide support on installation of software or burning the software onto a CD other than the instructions listed above.
If there are multiple CDs for the product, be sure you have the full set before you begin installation. Follow typical installation procedures by placing the first CD in the drive. Most often, the installer will be loaded automatically. If it is not, you need to run the setup.exe program on the CD or the installation directory on your hard disk. Follow the instructions as they appear on screen to complete the installation. Note: Keep a record of the product key for future reference.
- CD Purchase
As an alternative to downloading, CDs for Windows XP Professional ($13.00) and Visual Studio .NET 2003 ($18.20) can be purchased on-line on the FAU Microsoft Imagine Software Center site for the prices specified plus a modest shipping and handling fee.
The College IT staff is not able to provide individual technical support for use of Microsoft Imagine or the downloadable software. Technical support is generally limited to what is available on this site and the FAU Microsoft Imagine FAQs. The answers to some common questions are provided below.
- Lost Password
A lost password can be retrieved from the FAU Microsoft Imagine login screen. Select the link under “I’ve forgotten my password”. Follow the instructions, entering your full fau.edu email address as the username. The password will be mailed to your fau.edu email account.
- Requested Password Not Received
If you requested your password as described above but did not receive it, the most likely source of the problem is that you have your fau.edu email forwarded to another account. Many ISPs reject email forwarded through another site. Email originating at FAU is accepted when forwarded because it is still coming from FAU but the Microsoft Imagine Software Center password message comes from the FAU Microsoft Imagine Software Center site and is rejected. The problem can be solved as follows:
- Log into MyFAU
- Select the email icon at the top right
- Select the Options tab
- Select Auto Forward
- Clear the forwarding address and click OK
- Exit from email
- Go to the FAU Microsoft Imagine login screen and request your password
- Go back to your MyFAU email
- Read the message with your password. Note: After you get the password message you can reset forwarding if you wish.
- Am I Registered?
You can check to see if you are registered by submitting your fau.edu email address as described above for lost password. If you are registered, your password will be emailed to you. If not, you will be told so. Note: Be sure forwarding is not on for your fau.edu email account as specified above.
- I’m Not Registered
Faculty and staff who are not registered should email a registration request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Student registration is only done automatically as described above. Students not registered with the FAU Microsoft Imagine Software Center site will have to wait until the next term in which they are registered at FAU as a CEECS student. Students can not be registered manually.
- Download and Installation Problems
You should first check the list of error codes and descriptions. The two most common codes are SDC 00400 and SDC 70072. CDC 00400 indicates either that the CEECS distribution server is down or not accessible or that you have an network problem with your system or ISP. SDC 70072 indicates that you are trying to download the program for a second time. If you are reading this page, the server is okay and the problem is on your side. Problems downloading software with the loader program or with installation of the downloaded software should be reported with the Automated Support Agent on the FAU Microsoft Imagine Software Center site. Log in to the site and click on the Support link near the top of the page. Then click on the link to Request Customer Support under Technical Support to activate the agent.
- What is my product key?
You can find the product key for software you have obtained through Microsoft Imagine as follows:Log in at the FAU Microsoft Imagine login screen. Select “My Software” from the bar on the left. Click on the invoice number for the product and then on the software title for the product. Click “I Agree” on the conditions of use page and the serial number will be displayed on the resulting page.